Happy Recipe Friday!
I created a healthy living blog, Life of bLYSS, which was a huge part of my life before beginning my life at TidalWheel. Through the world of healthy living blogs, I found many friends who were vegetarian and vegan. I was intrigued, and after learning so much about how a plant-based lifestyle can alleviate health problems and support an athletic lifestyle, I gave vegetarianism a try.
One year later, I can happily say I never looked back. I suddenly had so much more energy, no digestive issues, and I felt good about what I was doing for the animals of our planet.
I was so excited when Fruitive opened, especially since it is just a hop, skip, and a jump from my studio! It’s been so long since I can walk into an establishment and have anything on the menu, and Fruitive finally gave me that.
Sadly, I no longer post on my blog due to TidalWheel taking up all of my time. I will probably jump back in one day, but for now, TidalWheel has my heart and soul. There’s no room for writing! However, I’d like to share one of my favorite plant-based recipes …
Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Prep time: ~10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour+ (use the toothpick test)
Yields: 1 8×4 loaf
What You’ll Need:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 tsp ground allspice
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup maple syrup or agave
3/4 cup coconut sugar
4 browned bananas
1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (I’m sure other non-dairy milk will work fine)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
5 tbsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips like Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Baking Chips
What You’ll Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Prepare an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan by greasing it with non-stick cooking spray
- Combine milk and vinegar in a small bowl and set aside
- Mash bananas thoroughly
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and spice
- Separately, mix together the margarine, brown sugar, and only 1/2 cup of the white sugar. Add the mashed bananas, vanilla, and milk/vinegar mixture
- Combine dry and wet mixtures together and mix well. Add chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into your greased loaf pan
- Mix together remaining white sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top of batter for a cinnamon sugar crust (you can obviously also use pre-mixed cinnamon sugar for this)
- Bake for an hour. Once time is up, stick a toothpick in the middle. If any batter sticks to the toothpick, put the bread back in for 5 more minutes.