Happy Recipe Friday!
Today we are featuring the lovely Ilene Godofsky, author of The Colorful Kitchen and holistic health coach!
Hi, I’m Ilene! I’m the author of the food blog The Colorful Kitchen and a holistic health coach based in NYC. I believe that food should be colorful, not complicated and on my website I share vegan and gluten-free recipes that are just that. As a health coach I work with people who want to improve their health (and life!) by adding in delicious, unprocessed, real food.
HOW I #LIVEMYHEALTH
I’m a huge advocate for eating organic, local, unprocessed, plant-based food…but the food on your plate isn’t the only thing that makes you healthy! I feel my happiest and healthiest when I surround myself with friends and family, spend time in the sunshine, ride my bike, practice yoga and have at least one episode of uncontrollable laughter each day. Doesn’t a delicious meal taste better with friends anyway?
CHICKPEA STRAWBERRY-RHUBARB BARS
Makes 8 bars
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped
- 1 cup rhubarb, chopped
- juice of half a lemon
- 3 tbs agave (divided)
- 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 can)
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- dash of cinnamon
- dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 8″x 8″ baking pan.
- Combine strawberries, rhubarb, lemon juice and 1 tbs agave in a bowl. Mix and let sit.
- In a medium bowl, use an immersion blender or potato masher to blend chickpeas until mostly smooth.
- Add oats, baking powder, 2 tbs agave, coconut oil, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Spread about ¾ of batter evenly in baking pan. Use your hands to press it down.
- Spread strawberry and rhubarb mixture over batter.
- Sprinkle remaining batter over strawberry and rhubarb layer.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool completely before slicing into bars.